Hi, I’m Tommy Marshall, full-stack engineer.
Coinbase, Senior Software Engineer (March 2022—Present)
Building full-stack for the web and mobile (react-native) frontend and graphql backend internal and external products seen by millions of users each day. Led feature development and technical documentation for multiple features and experimental product investigations. Championed efficiencies for accessibility, responsiveness, and performance for the internal design system/components team. Mentored multiple interns and hosted technical interviews. Led technical design documentation and code development for new features requiring complex business logic and cross-functional team coordination.
Medallia, Staff Software Engineer (April 2017—March 2022)
Led new engineering teams after acqusition by improving processes, git workflow, tech architecture, mentoring and writing code. On a small team tasked with building awesome interfaces writing TypeScript using React, Redux, GraphQL, and other technologies and tools that help companies monitor, engage with, and craft better experiences for their customers.
Viget, Front-End Developer (January 2012—April 2017)
Built out design comps in Photoshop/Illustrator and integrating with PHP and Rails-based applications and CMS’s. Because of my full-stack expertise, I was often the lead developer on projects requiring configuration of CMS’s.
I mentored multiple interns and new hires by reviewing their work, scheduling coding sessions, and teaching professional development skills on communication and writing well.
Sire Studios, Inc., Co-Founder (May 2008—January 2012)
Led all web development efforts, including building out custom designed comps into HTML/CSS files and integrating into WordPress CMS. Responsible for maintaining over 35 client sites and technical needs of the business.
George Mason University
B.S. Economics with a Minor in Information Technology
Notable Client Work and Awards
ESPN’s Anatomy of a Pitch
Led development and UX showcasing video and high fidelity assets. Built on Backbone and had to work down to IE7. This site reached 19.7 million users on Twitter. Awards include: multiple Webby Awards Honoree’s and Nominated for an Emmy in Best User Experience, Navigation Structure, and Use of Video categories, 2015
Led development, WordPress configuration, custom Plugin development and Custom Import Application.
I applied best practices including zero-downtime deployment and composer for managing Wordpress and Plugin versions. Built a powerful searching component in front of SearchWP. Built a Lumen application to fetch tens of thousands of records from a very slow API by using Queues and importing directly into WordPress.
Led development planning and built game component in React.
A DDR-style game to turn your phone into a handbell. Geared towards being social, we saw an opportunity to use WebSockets and allow users to join a room and play a song together.
From concept to execution, these projects showcase my passion for using the web to solve real problems while staying creative and up-to-date using the best the web has to offer. All of my projects take advantage of Github, Google Analytics, CloudFlare, Rollbar, and Digital Ocean services, to name a few.
Service to easily embed a visual indicator for what breakpoint a browser is currently viewing a page at.
Group reminder service that uses texting to keep you and your friends accountable. Built on Laravel utilizing Twilio for texting and Pusher for websocket events.
Selected Presetentations and Writings
- Playing with Svelte, 2019
- Custom React Hooks, 2019
- Playing with Svelte, 2019
- Why you should use Styled Components, 2017
- Easy Responsive Background Images in Craft and WordPress, 2016
- Setting up HTTPS in Cloudflare and Amazon S3 for your Craft CMS site, 2015
- Building a Multi-Step Registration Form with React, 2015
- Proficient in Full-stack development, owning a project end-to-end, utilizing multiple programming languages.
- Deep understanding of schema/data modeling and database design and configuration.
- Extensive experience in securing and optimizating web application performance through SSL, caching, asset compression, alerts and monitoring.
- Interviewing technical candidates and mentoring and on-boarding new hires and interns.
- Strong ability and comfort working with large teams and multiple Git workflows and deployment strategies.
- Writing and speaking internally and externally on web trends, coding techniques, and new technologies.
Thanks for stopping by!